Forms for original content and photos

SCA policy requires that submitters provide release forms for material, to publish it in an official SCA newsletter (or other publication) and on SCA websites.

The creator of the work must complete and sign the Creative Release Form for any piece of orginal work - an article, story, poem, piece of artwork etc.

This release is not needed for officer letters, announcements about policy etc or event announcements, unless the latter are in the form of an original work, e.g. a poem, or contain original artwork.

Photographers must complete the Photographer Release Form for any original photograph (whether or not it includes people) for a publication or on a website.

People in pictures must complete the Model Release Form where any person in the photograph is recognisable by their facial features, completed by all the people present in the photo. Any photograph appearing in a print publication requires a release. It is not needed for photographs on websites if they were taken at an event where there is no expectation of privacy - i.e. a site to which the public could have access.

A photographer must provide a release if the photograph was taken at a private part of the event (e.g. a peerage vigil), or there was no expectation of public access (e.g. an event in a private home).

Note that the model release form has an option for a blanket release (i.e. you can use any picture of me any time). Encourage people to use this option.

There are two versions of each form:

  • paper-based: completed and signed by the person giving the release, and then passed to the publisher of the item (chronicler, web minister etc)
  • electronic: completed electronically and signed electronically.

The latter requires Adobe Reader.

Email the completed forms to the publisher.

See the Q&A document below for further details.

These forms are valid for all SCA newsletters and websites, from January 2011 onwards.

To download and save the forms for local use, right click on the link and select Save Link as (or equivalent on other browsers).

If you have any questions, please contact the Chronicler or Web Minister as appropriate.

Are you happy with this website? Please let us know with this quick survey.